Friday, March 8, 2013

Beggar Defend You

    Brothers! Sisters! I am now free of those who pursued me. I am free. I have no home, no belongings, not a crumb of food or even a cell phone. I have only the clothes on my back, the locusts of the field, also pigeons, and the fertile, untilled souls of the city's multitudes.

    With this new freedom, I have begun my street ministry. I have proclaimed the imminent coming of the Kingdom in every street, park, alley, and bar. Sometimes I am thrown away by the unbelievers. Sometimes I am ridiculed and insulted. A prophet is never loved in his own home town. But I love this city, and I will not let it fall to the Sodomites! Armored with my faith, wielding the sword of prayer, I have descended to the dark underbelly of the city to do combat with the enemies of the One. And I tell you verily, this enemy is more terrible and ubiquitous than the cannibal zombies of yesteryear, those whose frenzied demons drove them to sensational headlines.
    I am talking, today, about the more subtle and insidious demons which infest so many people in this world. The Bible says that 1/3 of the angels were cast out of heaven, and that the number of angels is very great. Thus, there are many demons at the Enemy's disposal. I have not yet encountered a demon prince of the Baal variety, but the horde of Screwtapes and Wormwoods is endless. I have now done battle with many demons already, but there is one in particular that hounds me, haunts me, and spreads evil on the streets of the city.
    I know not its God-given name, if it still bears one, but I have named it Mire. I first encountered it in a young woman at a homeless shelter where I was evangelizing and getting some toothpaste.
Mire stood over her in black jeans and a red coat and it first appeared to be talking to her, out in the hallway, but it recoiled from me and I saw that she was choking, indeed that it had been choking her. I knew instantly what it was. I went for the Bowie knife I wear at my belt now, intending to dispatch this one as I have so many others, but it had already fled before I could shift my packs to get at the blade. But this was not the last time we would meet. I have seen it slink through alleys, break into buildings and cars, even relax at the beach; doubtless the other beach-goers were shocked when I chased the thing away with a Bowie knife before their very eyes. But perhaps more terrifying to me is that sometimes, especially in the night, I glimpse it following ME. This battle is far from over. I will not be choked to death in my sleep. To this end, I have enlisted certain trustworthy fellow street dwellers to keep watch over me and aid me in my fight. Perhaps some among them shall become powerful demon hunters one day.

                                                 Kai, hitchhiker and fellow demon hunter, fresh from a slain specter.

No comments:

Post a Comment